Thursday, January 17, 2013

Why Frodo is a Little Punk


Hi, sorry I haven't posted in a while. Movies to see, books to be read :)
So about a year ago, in an effort to increase my "nerd levels" I watched all of the Lord Of The Rings movies. Extended cut. You know how long that takes?
     12 hours.
This is my thought process through out:
The Fellowship of the Ring: Okay I guess this is cool. I mean, Logolas is a boss. Aragorn seems like he's pretty cool. Frodo is kinda stupid but he has pretty eyes. The other hobbits are really cute.
The Two Towers: Okay Frodo is really stupid. He doesn't do anything. And for the record, I don't even care about any of the other characters, this movie should be called "Legolas the Awesome and his Posse of Annoying People"
Return of the King: FORGET LEGOLAS, SAM JUST HAULED FRODO'S BUTT UP TO MORDOR AND FRODO DIDN'T EVEN SAY "Hey, thanks buddy. You know, I really appreciate you." HE JUST COMPLAINED ABOUT HAVING TO GO BACK TO THE SHIRE!

    As soon as the last movie ands, I turn to my friend and say "Frodo is a little punk" and she just goes "No no, he was so brave! He did this and this and then Legolas had to do this, but he did this and this and blah blah blah blah." I finally just stopped listening, because Peter Jackson had clearly brainwashed her into thinking that Frodo was actually helpful, and everyone knows you can't argue with brainwashed people.
    But this morning, a year after the initial watching of Frodo being a useless lard, she came up to me and goes "Frodo is a little punk."
    Which only proves that my reasoning is irrefutable.
    This is supposed to be a review blog, so consider this my review of LOTR
    Sure, Frodo is brave and all for agreeing to take the ring to Mordor, but lets be honest, he never really embraced the important position he held. Mostly what he does is whine and complain and be generally unhelpful. It would be one think if he grew into his leadership, but he doesn't. At all. Even in the climax of the entire series, it wasn't him doing the work, it was Sam.
    That's what really gets me about Lord of The Rings, Sam is so underrated. He is more devoted to Frodo than Frodo is to the ring. I mean, who is gonna haul you up the side of a volcanoe when you pass out, and then not ask for any form of thanks? Who is going to stand over your nearly dead body and say "do not go where I can't follow"? Sam. That's who. But he doesn't get any credit for it. Legolas is this awesome elf guy, Aragorn is a long lost king, Frodo is Frodo, even Mary and Pippin get to be the funny guys. But Sam is just Sam. The garden boy. He wasn't "destined for greatness" or "born to be a hero", he's just a good friend. In my opinion, he's the best character in the entire series.

What if they had like an e-harmony for underrated characters? Luna Lovegood could date Finnick, and Isaac from The Fault in Our Stars could go out with Molly from Sherlock. Oh, and Sam and Bombur would have their own little Tolkien bromance. It would be great.


    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment